Thursday, June 13, 2013

Why Wait For New Years?

Image from This Link

Why do we wait for New Years Eve to make resolutions? When we want to make changes in our lives why don't we start today! I consider myself an optimist, and I don't wake up in the morning before leaving the house thinking to myself "We're going to get robbed today!". But I have been thinking lately, and quite possibly because of a few movies I have watched recently... What if something did happen? I would like to think that in the moment with motherly instincts and adrenaline I would but I don't know that I could physically protect Hannah. I would be very lucky to be capable of running a block!

So here I pledge a one month increase fitness challenge. This is not a get skinny or eat healthy resolution, although they would be very welcome bonuses. This is one month designated to increasing our fitness. I only commit to a month because with all honesty when semester two of uni commences I can not promise there will be any time left over for anything but the basics and if I have any chance of making it work this would be the time it will happen for me. Hopefully I can get into a routine that will last many months after my challenge.

So how will I do this? Gym's are not for me... well actually I love a good gym session and even more a group class like "Pump", "Body Balance" or "Step" but the expensive memberships and the fact that Ben is doing a lot of over-time at work right now leaves me with little Hannah free time, it needs to be practical otherwise I might as well delete this post. So I am playing catch up with Bettina's Light On Yoga Challenge. I would love for you to join me, join them. You can find all the information you need here at Little Old Souls. This is a great option for me as it requires little to no equipment and I don't even have to leave the house. Nap time or even with Hannah in tow I can give it a go (P.S Bettina demonstrates perfectly how you can participate with a toddler so there are no excuses).

Image from This Link

OK so that's one aspect of fitness sorted, the other is the cardio side of things. I was lucky enough to have received an aerobics step for my birthday this year and I purchased a Step Aerobics DVD cheap on eBay a while ago so I shall get back on that band wagon. If you don't have this equipment at home you might need to get creative to find another alternative. Hannah and I also frequently visit the quiet little park near our house which is surrounded by nice big bushy trees so I would like to try and run the length of the park and increase that each time we go. I could also do triceps dips on the picnic bench and any other way I can get up and moving while Hannah is playing on the swings. Better break out the joggers!

Image from This Link

I will post regular weekly progress reports on what I have been up to but here is where you come in. I am quite likely to loose motivation with out your support, knowing someone is reading these posts and working along with me. So I need to hear your pledges too! Who is with me? How long do you commit to increase your fitness? And what are your strategies going to be? They can change each week, i'm sure mine will.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit I like to think the same.... But I'm kind of in that same boat as you are..... My body has endured very little fittnes in WAY WAY too many years!! I really enjoyed yoga too so I think I'm going to try your idea and get back to it. The DVD's are all on the shelf still, I just have to find my yoga mat!!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I was starting to think I was in this on my own. Thank you so much for commenting, you have now inspired me to get off the computer and go and do some yoga right now :-)THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete