Thursday, July 11, 2013

Information and Communication Technologies


This past week I have taken a step back from my Mumma Next Door blog as the semester two of uni commences next week. I have been spending much of my time this week in preparation for my two subjects I am completing this semester, HPE Curriculum and Pedagogy and ICT and Pedagogy. I am anticipating enjoying these subjects as they are both interests of mine and I enjoyed studying them while I was at school. ICT and Pedagogy is a prac subject so this will be my second prac so far and this one is for three weeks! Hopefully we have a better experience then my last one with Hannah. It was not easy as a Mother to leave her for 10 days!

Preparing for HPE has been limited as the study desk for that subject hasn't released much information yet, so hitting the textbook was pretty much all I could do... but ICT has kept me on my toes. It was recommended that I start working through some of week ones tasks as there is a lot to get through. It is a requirement that we should have a Twitter account, Diigo (a social bookmarking site) and a blog.


As you all would already know I have just recently started exploring Twitter again, but for the purpose of this subject I have created an account designated to teaching and ICT. If you are a (Pre-service or) teacher, in education, work in the ICT or social media fields and are on Twitter, please let me know so I can follow you and include you in my personal learning network. Personal Learning Network or PLN is a new term for me which I am pretty pleased to be able to use in context ha ha. A PLN is described as "Perhaps the most important resource you can have as a teacher." A personal learning network is an informal learning network that consists of the people a learner interacts with and derives knowledge from in a personal learning environment. In a PLN, a person makes a connection with another person with the specific intent that some type of learning will occur because of that connection. Alternatively if you would like to follow my teaching specific Twitter account my user name is @teaganchilds.

*Please note that my teaching Twitter account (@teaganchilds) is not related to my blogging Twitter account (@MummaNextDoor).

As for the blog requirement for this subject it was recommended for me to use a wordpress hosted blog. I jumped at this opportunity as my Mumma Next Door blog is obviously a Blogger hosted blog, I thought it would be a great chance for me to try out the competition and compare the two. I must say it is very different and has taken me a long time to feel my way around the system and get things to do what I want them to do. (By this I mean I am still way over my head and trying to figure everything out!) But I am getting there slowly. If you would like to have a sticky beak at my other blog you can find it by following this link: Childs Teaching Journey. This blog is a Uni and teaching related blog only, so if you are not really interested in that kind of thing, it will probably bore you. :-)

I already feel like I'm spending all of my time in front of my computer but I'm hoping I will learn a lot more about Twitter, blogs and Diigo (Which I hadn't even heard of before) and many other technologies in the next few months. So wish me luck for the semester to come. I'm hoping to do a Blogger Vs Wordpress blog later on after I get the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment