Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sneaky Meatless Monday

Leading a healthier lifestyle is becoming increasingly more important to me, as Hannah gets older. It is vital for me as a mother to model and demonstrate good habits and provide traditions that she will hopefully carry on long after she has left the nest and even pass on to her babies.

I have been toying with the idea of introducing a "Meatless Monday" for a while but my lack of vegetarian recipes and the fact that I have two very carnivorous men in the house which I must cater for; who will very quickly protest if I feed them anything lacking in their daily dose of steak, lamb or pork has put me off. Despite this, I have set myself two challenges:

1- The obvious, lead a healthier lifestyle including a diet which contains at least one meatless day a week (Monday). I know that meatless doesn't always mean healthier, so I will endeavour to try to choose healthier recipes.

2- This is the part which is going to make it all that much more fun... I am going to try and do it with out the two gentlemen in the house noticing and see how long it takes. I'm pretty sure that neither of them actually go out of their way to read my blog so I think I'm safe putting it on here, as long as my lovely readers don't bring it to their attention.

Week one will include a pumpkin soup. This is an easy one as we have been talking about having a pumpkin soup for a while now but just haven't gotten round to it yet. So a great way to start and no likely danger of my deceptive  plan to become exposed... just yet... I hope!

Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients:
Approx. 3/4 of a seeded and peeled pumpkin chopped into chunks
2-3 large peeled potatoes chopped
1lt milk
Onion, finely chopped
Tablespoon crushed garlic
Tablespoon olive oil
Chang's fried noodles to serve.

Method:
Fry your onion and garlic in the olive oil until softened.
Add the pumpkin and potato then pour over the milk.
Boil for 1hr until pumpkin and potato is softened.
Blend until silky smooth.
Add a pinch of Chang's fried noodles and salt and pepper to serve.

P.S- I am in desperate need of some good meatless recipes so please leave the link to some of your favourites in the comments... pretty please :-)

4 comments:

  1. We love mushroom bolognese, which has such a meaty texture that it may even be one you can sneak past your carnivorous meal mates. This is the recipe I use: http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2011/1/27/mushroom-bolognese.html/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious and we are all mushroom fans too! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must check out Veggie Mama's Meatless Monday recipes - she is awesome: http://theveggiemama.com/category/meatless-monday/

    I think it's even a kinky to even more bloggers who do MM. You are not alone!!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for commenting and sharing Veggie Mama's link! There are some great recipes on there! I cant wait to give some of them a try :-)

    Teagan

    ReplyDelete