Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Fridge Door- Jam Drops

Jam Drops...
Beware... May cause personal injury!
I don't know why, but for some reason yesterday I felt inspired to cook some jam drops for the first time. After a short amount of research I found a recipe I wanted to tackle and set about preparing them. With the mixture done, I rolled what I thought was the suitable amount of biscuit batter for a normal sized jam drop, added the jam and placed them in the oven. 15 minutes later when I pulled them out I was shocked to see the results. They didn't resemble a jam drop at all and were pretty much one giant weird looking biscuit with lots of little shallow jam smears.

Oh dear, so I had a second attempt! This time I made them so small that (if I didn't know better by this point) I would have thought they would end up being an appropriate sized biscuit for a small doll and tried my luck at this baking gamble. After a short time, I crossed my fingers and opened the door to see two trays of perfect (compared to the last batch) little jam drops.

I took one tray out for a further inspection. The jam still bubbling, I found them to be satisfactory so I continued to pull the second try out when one slippery little bugger slid off the tray and in slow motion headed for my foot, of course landing jam side down on my toe! The biscuit continued to roll off onto the floor and jam still glued to my toes, the time continuing to go in slow motion. I shuffled to find a place to put the tray safely down and hesitated to put my foot in the kitchen sink but decided it was the fastest way to get my foot to some cold running water and to wash the still scalding jam away.
After a few moments of running water I applied some Burn Aid, which if you don't already have some in your first aid kit, it is highly recommended! And the next day was left with a nice batch of jam drops to present to the girls at "Messy Day" play group and a blister on my toe.

125g butter, softened
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
Plain flour, to dust
115g (1/3 cup) strawberry or raspberry jam

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until combined. Sift flour over the butter mixture and stir until combined.
  2. Use lightly floured hands to roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on the prepared trays, about 5cm apart. Use a lightly floured finger to make an indentation in the centre of each ball. Spoon 1/2 tsp of jam into the centre of each biscuit.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway through cooking, or until the biscuits are cooked through and light golden. Remove biscuits from the oven. Set aside on trays for 30 minutes to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment