Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Must Haves for New Babies

Just two weeks out from our fourth (and hopefully final) move in just under two years, naturally by this point you actually willingly downsize and throw as many non essential items as possible. It lead me to thinking this morning about some of our can't live without, would definitely buy again baby purchases.  I know when I was still a Mummy to be I used to LOVE to hear what other Mums had tried and tested to help make my life that little bit easier. Every Mum and Dad is different and your lifestyle may lead you to need different things but I thought I would share some of mine.

Firstly, this is probably one of my most valued possessions and during all our moves it was the only thing that I would have killed someone over if it had been damaged. Maybe... mostly because of it's price tag.
The Growtime Kimberly Change Chest! It was priced at around that $700 mark but wait till you hear its features! This chest of draws has a removable extension that convert it into a change table, which can simply be taken off when your children are out of nappies. It has plenty of room beside the change mat for all your nappy changing needs. The draws obviously are great storage and they also feature a ‘topple free’ safety system. The table is so solid which is one of the things I loved the most about it. An expensive outlay but it can be used for a life time!

Secondly Invest in a good pram. Hannah at over 1 1/2 is still using our pram, we didn't switch to a stroller and I must say I wish we had done some more research on the pram we were going to purchase. Having one that is easy enough to steer with one hand in all conditions is so valuable. If and when we are blessed with number 2, I will be getting an upgrade! 

Next is the high chair. We originally got a basic Hi-Low chair meaning the height can be adjusted and it was good but we have just recently, so recently in fact that we haven't even used it yet brought a portable booster seat. I wish we had got one of these to start with. Some problems we encountered with the Hi-Low chair is that it at times was difficult to clean, and when Hannah sat in the seat with the tray on there was no way she was going to be able to see over the tray as well as into her bowl. The portable booster seat is a much better fit and it also makes life easier when going on holidays for a week. You just take it along and the wiggling toddler is able to sit at the table with everyone else and is still long enough to sit through a meal... priceless!!!

In our car I have a Baby View Mirror and even when I am in the passenger side I miss it! I am constantly checking on Hannah when we are travelling even just around town. I check if she's falling asleep, chocking on her water, getting into the bags of shopping on the back seat, the list goes on. It was less useful when she was still rear facing but once she was turned around I have found it to be fantastic. Nothing beats safety when you are driving, by not having to turn around to check all the time.


For fear of this post getting a little long winded, I will add just one more. Maybe there is potential for a part 2 here somewhere. Finally another product I just loved is the Pigeon Training Toothbrush set of 3. I introduced Hannah to the stage one brush very early on. It was fantastic for teething. It comes with a little safety ring to prevent your little one choking. The stage 3 brush is pretty much a small toothbrush to prepare for dental hygiene. You can never start forming healthy habits too early!

Well there you have it, my top 5 must haves. I might just have to do a part 2 at some point because I am not even finished writing this one and I have already thought of at least 3 more items I would love to share.

What were your must have products when starting out with a new baby that you could not live without?

2 comments:

  1. I bought a baby bjorn carrier, with the added back support when I had my first. I used it for all 3 of mine, plus my sister used it for all hers, and several friends have also borrowed it. My youngest is 3, and I have just passed it along to my sister inlaw who is pregnant with her first. It was $189 8 years ago, but it was sooooo worth it! I think the investment pieces are a good pram/stroller (ours lasted all 3 kids), and a nappy wallet. Ours is skip hop brand and is brilliant. Everything you need to change nappies, but without the hassle of a full nappy bag (perfect once they are past the needing everything stage). It is also going to my sister in law!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! And next time round I would really like to invest in a baby bjorn carrier, especially with an older one running around, I think having two hands would be the hugest advantage ;-)It's great when you can use something with all of your own children and it still lasts to pass on to others! Thanks for sharing!
    Teagan

    ReplyDelete